Monday, February 20, 2017

Getting Ready for Spring in Advance

The Unknown Author posted an unfinished poem called, "Deaf, Blind, and Dumb." Not to contradict that title, though, when the poem got finished as it is below, the importance of seasons is made clear in it. 
According to the meteorological season calendar, as opposed to the equinox season calendar, meteorological spring will begin on 01 March 2017 and ends on 31 May 2017. In that calendar, the meteorological seasons consist of splitting the seasons into four periods made up of three months each. These seasons are split to coincide with our Gregorian calendar making it easier for meteorological observing and forecasting to compare seasonal and monthly statistics. 
But the more familiar astronomical calendar has spring beginning on 20 March 2017 and ending on 20 June 2017.
The astronomical calendar determines the seasons due to the 23.5 degree tilt of the Earth's rotational axis in relation to its orbit around the sun. Both equinoxes and solstices are related to the Earth's orbit around the sun.
Now that you have been educated, as was I, by the "veddy" British discussion at http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/learning/learn-about-the-weather/how-weather-works/when-does-spring-start, let's get to the poem. You will see that it does matter which calendar determines which day each season begins. Take your pick.

Deaf, Blind and Dumb - A poem by The Unknown Author

When I was much younger, like a little Tom Thumb,
I knew putting in my finger could pull out a plum.
But I've been made wiser, like old Rip Van Winkle,
And I've seen so often I can barely hear a tinkle.

My knowing it all then, like a Bunyan named Paul,
Finally taught me I know nothing, nothing at all.
Sometimes now I wonder if the time's sure to come,
When I can say nothing to be deaf, blind, AND dumb.

But seasons keep spinning 'Round a Mulberry Bush,
When thinking I'd stop they always gave me a push.
Running round like a mouse in Hickory Dickery Dock,
The hands got me dizzy until I saw it was a clock.

When time got me older, and I passed Jack and Jill,
Time forced me to meet her at the top of that hill.
She talked 'round in circles like hands of a clock,
Yet what I said she remembered so always could mock.

When I'd heard all, like Seashells by the Seashore,
She began juggling new things, so sure not to bore.
Time became her helper, and they made me feel sure,
Knowing nothing had been better, it's my only cure.

Life's Seasons fall down, like ol' Humpty Dumpty,
They give us rewards and sometimes some Trumpery.
And if when it's the season to be ready for Fall,
If you're just Spring-ready, like Humpty you'll fall.



1 comment:

  1. Very interesting...very deep. While understanding some, the other is Greek, of which I do not speak!
    Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete